Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Haunting on Barnes Mill Rd.


I love my house. It's a rental, but Jason and I have managed to fix it up quite nice. We've painted, cleaned carpets, spent a lot of time decorating, keep it clean and have done a whole mess of improvements to the yard and gardens. Overall, it's a wonderful place to relax and call home for the time being. Now I have even more of a reason to love my house, I believe it's haunted. But not by one of those terrifying "I'm going to crawl out of your TV soaking wet and kill you" movie-ghosts. I really feel like this is a peaceful spirit, for the reasons I'm about to tell you.

According to the landlord, the house was built in 1944. So it's not old, but it's not a spring chicken either. I want to do a bit of research and see if anyone died in the house or if there is a significant event connected to it in history to get a sense of where the spirit came from. But before I get ahead of myself, here's what's happened recently:

About a month ago, Jason's mother, Cheryl, and his sister, Shawnda, were visiting our house. While sitting at our kitchen table, Cheryl all of a sudden felt extremely cold. She then began to feel something stroking the top of her head, kind of a sensation of her hair being played with. Reaching up, there was nothing there. She looked and felt around, to see if there was a cobweb or draft or something else which could explain the feeling, but nothing could explain the sensation. This same event occurred 3 more times, a very distinct feeling that something was touching her head. She finally asked her daughter if she felt anything and almost as soon as she did, Shawnda shivered and said that she just felt extremely cold for no reason (it was a warm day outside and in the house).

We talked about how strange that was, but basically forgot the incident until 2 weeks ago when I experienced something similar. It was around 1:00 am and I was in bed, lying on my side. Jason was already asleep, lightly snoring next to me. All of a sudden, I felt a pressure on my side, just like an arm had been rested on me in the "spooning" position. My first automatic thought was that it was Jason, but I knew I hadn't heard or felt him move. Flipping quickly over on my back, I confirmed that Jason was still on the other side of the bed, facing away from me. I rolled back over on my side again, and as soon as I did, the feeling returned. I rolled back over and looked at the blanket to see if it was bunched up or if a cat had snuck up on the bed, anything to explain this mystery pressure on my side. Nothing. I rolled back over and AGAIN I felt the mystery arm on my side. Except this time was different. I felt an incredible sense of calm and ease wash over me. I wasn't concerned at all about why I felt someone's arm and hand who wasn't there embracing me, I just felt extremely relaxed and at ease. I fell asleep almost instantly.

It was such an interesting experience and i've never had anything like it happen to me before. So far, those are the only two incidents which have occured, minus something that happened two days ago when a kid's toy showing up somewhere it had NOT been before we left the house 30 minutes earlier. While that was extremely strange, i'm not attributing it to the possible ghost due to the fact that one of the cats could have batted the toy into the kitchen. Although the toy was pretty heavy and it had to travel a long way from the boy's room to the kitchen, I don't want to be over-reactionary, so I'm keeping open the possiblity that one of the animals was responsible for that.

So, so far only Cheryl and I have experienced anything strange. Jason hasn't noticed or felt anything "off", which is a bit strange as he is a very intuitive individual and is very sensitive to other's emotions, feelings and thoughts. I think the next time, if anything happens, i'm going to attempt to communicate with the spirit and see if it will communicate back with me somehow.

Currently listening to Better Than Ezra. Gotta love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment