Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hi, my name is Erin and i'm a work-a-holic.



So I currently have 4 part-time jobs. LOL. I know, crazy me. But this past January, those ever pesky student loan payments kicked in and I have a boyfriend who has a very seasonal-type job. When Jason makes money, he makes GREAT money. But when work is slow, he makes next to nothing, and all that goes to his child support. So i'm by far the "breadwinner" of the family, paying the majority of the bills. Don't get me wrong, Jason's fabulous. He does all the cooking (something I'd rather die than do) and helps out with cleaning and all that jazz and he does get paychecks, we just never really know when and how much.

Anyhoo, thus the reasons for me needing to work quite a bit right now. Since last July, I've been employed as the DMC Project Coordinator for Madison County, Kentucky. Basically, I do statistical analysis and technical report writing for Eastern Kentucky University and the Department of Juvenile Justice looking at disproportionate minority contact amongst juveniles. It's a fantastic job and pays quite well at $18.75/hour, but it's only currently part-time at 24 hours a week. I work this job Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays from 9 - 5pm.

On Thursdays and Fridays from 9 - 5, i've just started a new gig at the Pyramid Society in the Kentucky Horse Park. The Pyramid Society is an organization dedicated to the breeding of Egyptian Arabian horses and my good friend Rachael is employed by them. She mentioned their need for part-time office help. This past week was my first week and I really am enjoying it so far. Although I'm just doing basic office work like faxing, mailings, copying and database management, i'm finding the job fascinating. I know next to nothing about horses and it's been very intriguing learning about the stunningly beautiful Egyptian Arabians, a breed unlike any other horse i've ever seen.

For the past 2 months, I've been working Friday night, Saturday night and every other Sunday night at Hardees. Yes. I said Hardees. Fast-freaking-food. Ick. But, hey it's money and in all actuality, it's not that bad of a job. I work backline so I don't have to deal with customers (after 4 years at Wal-Mart I don't ever want to deal with customers again, thank you very much!), it's a very clean fast-food restaurant, and the store i'm at has excellent managers. It's mindless work, but is really helping me out with the student loans.

The fourth and final job is my dictating which i've been doing since last summer. From 2001 - 2006, I was a medical transcriptionist for a Urologist here in Richmond. All this experience qualified me to dictate documents and interviews for the Kentucky government. I get to work from home and it pays over $50/hour, so needless to say, it's one heck of a job. However, the work tends to be a bit sporadic, so I can't always rely on it to pay my monthly bills each month.

Well, that is what's going on in my work life at the moment. I'm working my butt off and am pretty worn out, but I've been watching my savings grow each paycheck and it feels pretty great. I'm still on the full-time job hunt (I didn't get that Master's degree for nothing, darnit!) and a few of the places i've applied look promising. But let me assure you, once I finally get this elusive full-time employment, i'm dropping all this other stuff like a bad habit. LOL.

2 comments:

  1. Just received my cheque for over $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can get taking paid surveys from home...

    So I took a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for taking paid surveys to finally set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete